1.20.2012

black bean & corn veggie burgers

I'll be the first to admit I've always been skeptical about veggie burgers .
throughout college , my friends would defrost veggie patties , put them on top of their salads ,
& smother them in ketchup to disguise the styrofoam - like flavor the healthy but
unappetizing protein provided .
I tried to join my friends in eating these veggie burgers as a way to eat healthy through college
but just could not do it . 

I don't know why but the other day I got a serious craving for a veggie burger .
as I searched through recipes , my skepticism failed to disappear over time .
nearly every recipe described how their husbands , firefighter boyfriends , and meat & potato loving 
men thoroughly enjoyed the protein patties .
I gave the veggie burger a second chance and oh my god .

I made the veggie burgers for myself & three other men to truly prove myself wrong , 
veggie burgers can actually be delicious .
they were so yummy & I felt like I was doing a good thing for myself after I finished my plate 
( which is not often the case ) .
I topped the burgers with monterey jack cheese , avocado , alfalfa sprouts , & joeys 
homemade special sauce ( ingredients below ) .
we will definitely be making these again in the near future !

you can put anything into your veggie burger - I chose corn , black bean , cilantro ,
portobello mushrooms , & red bell pepper .

the mixture sticks using egg whites & whole wheat breadcrumbs 



joey's sauce : 
cucumber , dill , jalapeno , plain no fat greek yogurt ,
low fat mayonnaise , & a dash of beer .

the sauce seriously complemented the veggie burgers , & 
had just the right amount of zing to it .

black bean & corn veggie burgers in a whole wheat pita with
baked sweet potato fries !

I used this recipe as a foundation - but found I needed to make a few 
changes .
I added 2 more egg whites  & more breadcrumbs , as I found through this recipe 
the patties were not sticking together as they should .

I highly recommend this for a light dinner , even for all the meat & potatoes loving men out there !


No comments: